the control surfaces. The covering is natural-colored Solartex as
I thought the antique Solartex was too yellow. I finished it with
eight brushed-on coats of thinned, clear Brodak dope, followed
by the white-and-black civil registration markings that were
sprayed on using Brodak colored dope. I am very happy with the
results, and as I have been flying it, the finish gets grimed up and
looks even more authentic!
MAN: So how does it fly?
BP: I love the DLE 111cc engine; it is amazingly smooth running
and very reliable. I have had many flights on the aircraft, and I find
that I am getting very comfortable with it. It flies just like a bigger,
heavier version of my smaller 1/5-scale model. It does, however,
require that you start the flare on landing a little earlier, being
that its finished weight is 39 pounds. Also, I can’t stretch a glide
as well as with the smaller one as it has considerably more drag
due to the full set of flying wires (not present on the smaller one).
So far, I have been fortunate enough to win the first-place spot in
Designer Scale at the 2013 Toledo Show and the first-place W W I
award at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome R/C Jamboree.
GALLERY Bristol scout
aren’t just gentle sweeping bends. To get the proper shape to
set properly, I used solid spruce where I could, and then, where
I needed sharper bends, I cut them lengthwise and inserted
thin plywood strips. I then glued and laminated them around a
form to set the curvature. This is particularly noticeable where
the fuselage transitions past the leading edge of the horizontal
stabilizer and ends at the rudder post.
All of the model’s rigging wires, attachment points, and
hardware are functional, and the wing spars are I-beam
construction. The engine cowl was easy as it is an aluminum
unit available from Balsa USA. I enlarged the opening, and for
the distinctive Bristol blister on the side of the cowling, I made it
over a mold out of some vacuum-forming plastic sheet. It took
several trips to the hardware store until I found the right shade
of silver spray paint painted to match the aluminum cowl. The
dummy scale Clerget engine I got from Mick Reeves Models, and
the wheels started with 1/3-scale Du-Bro wheels, but I have
since replaced them with the more scale wheels from Williams
Everything else in the model is scratch-built, including the
cockpit detailing. I did get a little carried away and made the
functioning control yoke stick and rudder bar, which move with